Amazing Babies Moving® Professional Training Programs
Developmental Movement Education
The Baby’s First Year
ABME Level 1 Five Day Certificate Program with Beverly Stokes
Where: Dominican University Campus, San Rafael, CA
When: August 13 – 17, 2012 (Monday – Friday)
Schedule: 9:30 am – 5 pm
The ABME forward thinking programs and workshops in Developmental Movement Education
This five day Developmental Movement Workshop is designed to enhance the skills of educators and professionals who work in the fields of baby development, child education and in Early Years settings. Our dynamic Amazing Babies Moving (ABME) Programs provide participants with a distinctive two-part Developmental Movement Framework in the baby’s first year.
Somatic, Movement / Fitness Educators and Yoga Instructors will learn the developmental movement patterns they can introduce into their teaching, practice and workplace for optimal movement in babies, children and adults. In movement re-education, adults learn to integrate these essential movement patterns into their activities for improved posture, vitality, fitness and performance.
This integrated curriculum and experiential program will enhance your understanding of the vital links between movement development, expressive communication and self-motivated learning. You will find it the most effective way to communicate this essential information to support parents and caregivers, educators and professional to enhance the baby’s movement development in first year.
The Amazing Babies Moving Program from Birth to Walking is designed in two parts:
In the pre-locomotion stage, the baby’s FloorMoves® sessions gets the developmental process going. During this time babies are developing their body awareness, organizing patterns of movement, and setting up action plans in self-directed play. FloorMoves explorations are an essential daily practice for babies that prepares them for the dynamic Locomotion Stage.
In the second half of the first year, babies acquire the ability to move from one place to another putting what they have practiced into action. These fundamental movements, locomotion patterns, rhythmic coordination and dynamic balance provide the essential foundation for babies to become dynamic explorers, expressive communicators and self-motivated learners.
The Amazing Babies Moving® 5-Day Workshop can be used by:
- Certified Movement Analysts (CMAs) to fulfill the requirements for their ISMETA Membership. They also meet part of the requirements for ISMETA registration as a Somatic Movement Educator and/or Therapist.
During this 5-Day Amazing Babies Moving Program, you will:
Essential Developmental Movement Patterns
- Refine your observation skills and acquire a developmental movement framework and vocabulary.
- Experience and identify the essential Developmental Movement Patterns in the Pre-Locomotion and Locomotion Stages.
- Explore Reflexes, Righting Reactions and Equilibrium Responses.
Expressive Communication in Social Interactions
- Learn a movement analysis system and language for identifying the baby’s functional and expressive communication skills.
- Identify the baby’s natural cues, postures and gestures that provide the preverbal basis for our adult nonverbal communication.
- Analyze our new photo vignettes that demonstrate how babies communicate their intent through preverbal gestures and interpret nonverbal messages in social interactions.
Self-Motivated Play to Mastery
- Learn to create an environment that encourages the baby’s age-appropriate play activities. In self-motivated play, babies set up action plans and develop problem-solving skills to reach their goal.
- Analyze the variability in the developmental process as demonstrated in our Amazing Babies Moving Video Vignettes.
- Babies will join us each day to enhance observation skills.
- The Amazing Babies Moving Book: Essential Movement to Enhance Your Baby’s Development in the First Year by Beverly Stokes will be the text used.
- The Amazing Babies Moving DVD, baby video research by Beverly Stokes will be used for our selected Video Vignettes Analysis.
- A Comprehensive Amazing Babies Moving Workbook will be provided
- Educators: early childhood, childcare professionals, childbirth instructors, nurses, infant massage instructors
- Specialists: early intervention, physical, occupational, developmental kinesiologists, massage therapists,
- Optometrists: developmental optometrists
- Psychologists: prenatal/postnatal, developmental
- Somatic / Movement Educators: CMAs, Feldenkrais, Somatics, Alexander, Continuum, Trager
- Instructors/Facilitators: Fitness, Sports, Yoga, Pilates
- 5 Day Program Fee: $895. US Purchase Here
- To receive the Early Bird Special Fee of $845. US please pay $200. by Paypal by July 1st. Purchase Here
Download Registration Form
Dominican University Campus, 1475 Grand Ave., San Rafael, CA 94901
Dominican University Campus is a 30 minute drive from San Francisco.
The Marin Airporter from San Francisco Airport stops at the San Rafael Bus Depot – 5 minute drive to the University.
Only a 20 minute walk from the University to downtown San Rafael.
The Movement Studio is located in the Conlan Center. The Studio is spacious with a beautiful hardwood floor and lots of natural light. A smaller room is available for our Video Analysis and Discussions.
Bon Appetit at the Caleruega Dining Hall is a modern chalet style building on campus. It is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. It is highly recommended and serves a vegetarian California Cuisine.
Special Faculty Guest, Janet Kaylo, Founder/Directer of Laban/Bartenieff & Somatic Studies Int’l (LSSI) will teach a one hour class each day on the Movement Analysis System used in nonverbal communication and expressive social interactions. Experiential explorations and Beverly’s new video vignettes will enhance understanding.
Beverly and Janet are certified as Movement Pattern Analysis (MPA) Practitioners in the field of nonverbal communication.
What participants say
“Studying with Beverly has been a great experience! The combination of guided personal developmental work plus live baby observation, video observation, discussion with colleagues, and Beverly’s insightful expertise reiterated the importance of ‘pausing’ to observe from the baby’s perspective. There is so much to learn from a short sequence of infant play.”
Janet Kwantes, CMA – Amazing Babies Moving 2011 Program
“Beverly has a unique way of involving the adults to be in the children’s shoes and learn how to observe them; a very useful tool to understand the way children see and learn from the world.”
Esther Helfon de Yedid, Infant Psychologist
Principal of Trepsi: Infant Development Center, Mexico
“Beverly Stokes’ work made me think about and observe movement and in an entirely new way. Understanding the developmental process and how movement skills emerge in our first year of life is critical for anyone working in a movement-related field. Thank you for such a rich and varied experience. You have informed my studio work in a very deep way.”
Margot McKinnon, Director
Body Harmonics Pilates, Canada